The Tasty Blender - a 2-channel Rockbox!

What is your dream product? How can we make our current products better? Please share!

Moderator: pete

Re: The Tasty Blender - a 2-channel Rockbox!

Postby jcasper » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:45 am

I really like the idea of the Blender. Small systems just don't have enough monitor mixes. And you always look like a "diva" wanting more monitor from a FOH system.

I drew up a quick sketch of my ideal box (not to scale). The inputs from the mic and instrument would have to be XLR or combos. If the connector for the instrument was a combo, maybe it could double as a DI for bassists like me?
jcasper

Postby Powelly » Mon May 09, 2011 4:14 am

A 3 channel mixer would be dead handy.

As a drummer I've been looking for a cost effective (cheap, to you and me ;) ) in-ear system for a while.
I typically would need a feed from the desk and a separate channel for a click-track. On occaision I will also need to monitor my own vocals, but this is fairly rare.

So i suppose that would be an XLR from the desk, and probably a 1/4" for the click track. The 3rd mic channel would obviously be an XLR, but crucially i think it would need a through (thru) to send to the desk.

In truth i don't think a 3 channel is especially vital, as you could add in something like the Samson S-Monitor when you needed to monitor your own vocals. If it keeps costs down, i say go for a 2-channel.
Powelly

Postby pete » Thu May 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Powelly and Jcasper!
Thank you for your input. This afternoon, I have just begun to layout some ideas on Eagle (my PCB design software), and I thought you might like to check it out. The attached image is a screen shot from a layout I have started. This is very preliminary; I still haven't worked out the details of the input stages/summing stages and stereo limiter. So this means that spacing and/or features are not locked in stone. The 5 TRS connectors are 1/4", so that can give you an idea of size. The enclosure I was thinking of using for this is very similar to the current enclosure used in the Rockbox, but it's a little bit larger (4.8 x 3.3 inches).

I was planning on not including the "thru" for each channel. Instead I would recommend using a cable splitter. I thought in addition to the release of the Tasty Blender, I would also create new products that could provide splits in TRS and XLR - for what ever types of connectors you'd prefer. For channels 1 and 2, this would require some adapters to accept mics (TRS to XLR), but this would be a much cheaper way to do it. I imagine a lot of guitar players (like me) might like to plug their acoustic guitars straight into channel 1, and then a mic into channel 2. But some users may just want two line level inputs, who knows!

Another benefit is that you could get the adapters you need for your setup, and then the Tasty Blender doesn't have to accommodate so many different setups.

Yet another thing to mention is that this version would accept a stereo line level signal. I can design it so that when you plug in only channel 3 (and nothing in channel 4), then you get channel three as a mono mix to both ears. But then as soon as you plug in something into channel 4, it sends Channel 3 to your left ear, and channel 4 to the right. A lot of smaller mixers do this in order to save the cost/space of panning knobs. The reasoning behind it is, if you're gonna get a stereo mix, you will not need it panned at any percentage, you will most likely want it panned hard LEFT and hard RIGHT. Agreed? Or do you think panning knobs are a must have?

There are so many different setups out there, it's hard to decide where to stop adding features, but this is where I'm at, and I would love to hear what you think. Thanks!

TastyBlender-Layout1.jpg
pete
Site Admin

Postby Wally » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 am

- 4 mono inputs with panning and level control on each channel (so we can have up to 2 stereo mixes).
- Parallel out on each channel.
- Combo XLR/TRS connectors.
- Rack mountable.

Shure makes a unit like this as an add on to their wireless systems. It would be cool to have it all in one device.

Wally
Wally

Postby MilesDrum » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:46 pm

Hey Pete, any word on the development of the Tasty Blender? I'm liking the idea of the 3\4 stereo idea. Also, I'd be cool with the using the splitters you mentioned, rather than a "thru" on each channel.
MilesDrum

Postby pete » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Hey Miles and others,
Sorry I have been out of it for a while. It's been a bit of a struggle to keep up with orders lately - especially those darn Rockon Cables :) Plus, the recent website overhaul involved a pretty steep learning curve. So unfortunately, we haven't had much time to dedicate to the Tasty Blender. Although the rush of summer time orders does not seem to be slowing down, we are improving our processes to free up time and are ready to once again hit the product development side of the business!!

It sounds like stereo capabilities is a priority for most, but I am still not convinced that people are getting stereo mixes. Except for in the studio, I never once received a stereo mix in a live setting or in rehearsal. Miles, do you ever see stereo mixes?

I hope your answer is yes, and I hope that more and more musicians are getting awesome stereo mixes. I know mixers are coming down in price and a lot of bands are touring with amazing digital mixers that provide lots of aux mixes!

About the parallel outs - I am leaning toward cable splitters to provide this feature... If you need transformer splits for mics, then you could always add one of ARTs splitCOM boxes per channel.

About the Combo connectors - I am leaning toward TRS to keep costs down. I think we will prototype with TRS and then run some numbers to see just ho much more it will cost to do combo. A big cost that they add is: they are larger, and so the enclosure must be taller than the current Rockbox style enclosure. Either way, prototyping with TRS doesn't mean it has to stay that way. Let me ask you this... if it was $50 more to have the combo connectors, would that be worth it to you?

Wally, you bring up yet another can of worms... should we go rack mount on this unit? I think a 1/2 rack sized unit might be a good idea - cause then you could potentially use it in a rack or stand alone, but it might be a bit of a struggle to fit all of the knobs on one side. Plus, this would make for a less user-friendly stand alone unit - If you throw a 1/2 rack sized unit on the ground or pedal board, it is pretty difficult to adjust the knobs. Darn, it's a bit of a trick to find the best option. I still think that a unit similar to the current Rockbox would be most useful for guitarists and drummers that are planning to mount the unit to a stand or pedal board. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to design the Tasty blender first as a stand alone "pedal style box" and then later re-design with a new enclosure for rack mount capabilities.

Jasper, Thank you for your ideas - and awesome drawing! How important is the DI feature to you? I know it would make your setup one box less (and I can appreciate that too - being a guitar player, myself), but I usually find that most venues have a few DIs on hand. I have scene some guys bring in their own DI, and it's usually a very high end active DI - something that I wouldn't want to add to the BOM cost of the tasty blender. On another note, have you ever used a DI as a splitter? A lot of DIs have an "instrument out" that could be used to go back into the tasty blender. This might be an easy way to effectively split you instrument signal...

Please chime in everyone with your thoughts, we are very interested to hear what you think!

Thanks again and rock on!
-Pete
pete
Site Admin

Postby Wally » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:41 am

Pete,
It seems more and more monitor mixes are going stereo. With digital boards, like the Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2, there are enough aux sends for 5 stereo monitor mixes, and folks seem to be using them. For in ear applications mainly. Plus as a user of this board I can tell you a stereo monitor mix makes a world of difference when you are running your FOH in stereo as well. All of our keyboards, guitar effects, vocal effects...etc. are in stereo. I know mono is still the norm for most bands, but being able to use the unit as a stereo monitor in the home studio would be nice as well.

Rack mounting was just a suggestion to see if anyone else would find it useful. ;)
Wally

Postby MilesDrum » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:08 pm

I've received a stereo mix a couple times - definitely mono, more often! I like the idea of pan knobs, even if it means a slightly more expensive unit. That way you can pan your stereo signals hard right and left, or pan mono channels (ie the click more to the left, the sequence more to the right etc). I'm cool with TRS connectors, I've never had someone send anything but, and I can use adaptors if need be. I prefer a unit with knobs up, like the current design. It would make it easier for me to adjust things on the fly if need be, and I can have the unit on a tray or the floor. I don't really use, or plan on using a rack. That's just me though! I'm indifferent on the DI feature. Good idea, although I probabely wouldn't use it much.
MilesDrum

Postby halfton » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am

I would be cool with the monitor input, one mic parallel, and a room mic built in to the little box. I figure I can pick up my amp that way and still have my vox.

Also a ground lift or an iso transformer would be cool. I run into problems with the board being plugged into a different panel than my amp and I have a hum problem. I know that creates a a higher cost for an iso, but it would be cool. I have been using the Rock box for over a year. My only problem is inept foh engineers. That is why I would like to have more control. Most places don't have an aviom type setup.

Jeff

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Halfton/174218382620979
halfton

Postby riptopaz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:23 am

I'm a bassist who sings.

For me, a stereo mix would be better, even if you need to raise the price a hair.

I'd also vote for rack mountable. It would allow enough room for thrus on each channel.

I'd buy one today if I could.
riptopaz

PreviousNext

Return to New Product Ideas